Wednesday 8 February 2017

Stir-fried Baby Pak Choi with minced garlic




This morning I went to apply for a dim sum course at London Chinese Community Centre.  The staff told me that the class is nearly full and there is only one place left. I am so lucky I can take the class on the coming Sunday. The centre is a good place for the elderly during the weekdays.  Most of them played mahjong, card games and Chinese chess.  A few of them kept chatting with each other. They looked very happy together.

Then I went shopping at Chinatown. I found the baby pak choi is very fresh in See Woo Supermarket, I bought two packs.  Also I bought soft tofu, pork ribs and some Chinese ingredients.  I made a bowl of fried rice and stir-fried a small plate of baby pak choi for my lunch.

Pak/bok Choi is a member of the cabbage family.  It has either white or green short, chunky stalks with glossy and deep green leaves. Its texture is crispy and its flavor is somewhere between mild cabbage and spinach.  I love baby Pak Choi very much.  I like stir-frying it with minced garlic.  If it is fresh, its flavor is excellent and wonderful crunchy. 


Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serve: 1


Ingredients:
-         100g baby pak choi (trimmed the base of pak choi)
-         2 garlic cloves (minced)                             

-         ½ shallot (minced)
-         ¼ tsp red pepper (finely sliced)
-         ½ tbsp olive oil       
-         100 ml water
-         a pinch of table salt
-    sesame oil (optional)


Method:
1.
Heat a non-stick wok with olive oil over medium heat.

2.




Add minced garlic and shallot in the wok and stir-fry for one minute.  Then toss in baby pak choi and stir-fry for another one minute. Pour in water and continue to stir-fry for a further two to three minutes until the leaves change to a bright dark green.



3.

In the meantime, add a pinch of table salt and red pepper, drizzle sesame oil (optional) and stir-fry for 30 seconds.

4.

Ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment