Friday 28 October 2016

Basil leaves Fried Eggs (Taiwanese dish)



I bought this small pot of Basil from Tesco one month ago.  It looks very healthy. I am lucky this time. It still keeps growing bigger and bigger.  I have cut some for cooking 3-cup sauce chicken for a few times during the past few weeks.  I don’t know how long I can keep it.  Hope it lasts longer and longer!  If you are good at gardening, please give me some advice on planting herbs. 




About two years ago, I ate a very simple Taiwanese dish; Basil fried eggs, in a restaurant in Taipei.  The dish is very popular in Taiwan, my friends told me that many Taiwanese moms like cooking this quick and healthy dish for their kids.  I know some people like deep-frying the leaves in oil before pan-fry the eggs.  But I stir-fry in the pan instead,  it is more healthy.  Hope all of you like it!




Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serve: 2


Ingredients:
-         3 free-range large eggs
-        30g fresh basil leaves
-         ¼ tsp salt                                      
-         ½ spring onions (finely chopped)
-         1 tsp olive oil
-         ¼ tsp sesame oil


Method:
1.
Beat the eggs and season them with salt in a mixing bowl. 


2.
Rinse basil leaves under running water.  Never clean them until you're ready to cook with them,


3.
Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat and add ½ tsp oil.  Place the leaves inside the pan and quick stir-fry for about 15 seconds.  Then put them into eggs and stir well.





4.
In the meantime, add ½ tsp oil in the pan over low-medium heat.  Add the spring onions in the pan and stir-fry 15-20 seconds.  Pour the egg mixture in the pan and pan fried it.






5.
Drizzle sesame oil once the eggs are set.  Then flip the egg gently to another side and pan-fried for a further 1-2 minutes until it is a bit golden brown.





6.
Serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment